It had raised around $284k but Precursor Games was seeking $1.5 million. These pledges would have funded a pilot chapter, with a full run of 12 chapters planned.
The studio will also suspend their own crowd-funding campaign run via their website. However Shadow of the Eternals will be returning to Kickstarter "in just a few short weeks".
All existing donations at this point will be refunded to those who generously pledged. Previously the developer has said that if Kickstarter failed to achieve the desired goal then the game wouldn't happen. The project suffered a severe blow to confidence over allegations that former Silicon Knights boss Denis Dyack had 'financially sabotaged' X-Men Destiny.
This led the now chief creative designer Dyack toagainst rather damning accusations, saying that there wasn't any truth to them and that it 'took a life of its own' since Kotaku ran the error-riddled article.
"Since we announced this Kickstarter campaign we have seen more support from our community than we had ever hoped for. Along with this support has come a host of a new exciting opportunities that will make the game better than we envisioned," said Precursor boss Paul Caporicci.
"As a result, we have chosen to temporarily take down the Shadow of the Eternals crowdfunding campaigns on both Kickstarter and our own website on Thursday, June 6."
"This doesn't mean we are going away - far from it. We'll be re-launching the Kickstarter in just a few short weeks with a reveal of these exciting new developments."
You can still visit theto learn more about the game. Its campaign ends June 6th.