A reminder has been posted by Blizzard that the gold and real money Auction House for Diablo III will be closed indefinitely next month, March 18th. They also give us a first look at two new social features.
Clans and Communities are set to appear with patch 2.0.1. Essentially these are "easy and practical tools" to be made available for like-minded nephalem to go loot hunting.
Clans are limited to 120 members and are designed as "smaller and invitation only" tree house clubs, and you can only be a member of one at any given time.
You can create a Clan by assigning it a tag, a name and defining its language, as well as flag it as 'looking for members', which determines whether or not it will appear in the Find Clan section which is filters by language, tags and names.
Communities are where people might band together for a number of given reasons, such as geography, class choices etc. These are more focused on socialization, "support a nearly unlimited number of members." You can join multiple Communities.Blizzard. Communities are designed to be much larger and more casual than Clans, and
Communities are created in a similar fashion to Clans but instead of tags you assign it a category. You also define whether it is 'open to public' and 'invite only'. Once you joined a Club or Community then a respective social window will become available, with Clans carry exclusive additions.
For Clans and Communities:
▪ Message of the Day: Notifies you of changes to the MOTD
▪ Clan/Community Information: Notifies you of changes to the Clan Information entry
▪ New Leader: Be among the first to know when Clan or Community Leadership changes hands
For Clans Only:
▪ Items: Notifies you when a clan member finds a Legendary item and allows you to check out its stats
▪ Achievements: Notifies you every time a clan member completes an Achievement
▪ Member Joined: Notifies you when a new member joins the clan
▪ Member Left: Notifies you when a member leaves the clan
▪ Member Promoted: Allows you to track promotions within your clan
There are also roster and settings tabs. See theon Battle.net for more.