Obsidian Entertainment went to all the trouble of creating a classic RPG like the days of old with Pillars of Eternity, and we went to all the trouble of throwing huge stacks of money at the screen. There’s no time to rest though now as the hard work switches to the modding community and there’s no shortage of ideas to add some extra spice.
It’s time to round up some of the top mods for today’s yesteryear RPG game, Pillars of Eternity.
1) IE Mod Description: What could capture the nostalgia of old better than a mod designed to do just that? The IE Mod is actually an assortment of optional mods designed to bring Pillars of Eternity closer to the old Infinity Engine games. It combines UI and game mechanic tweaks.
It offers a customisable UI, disabling of engagement, only one tooltip at a time, blue circles for neutral NPCs, always show circles, looting during combat, adjustable circle thickness, autosave before transition, fast scouting mode, walk mode and a lot more. Full details here.
Actually this existed for Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition but it’s been re-purposed for Pillars of Eternity with its author’s permission. It’s nice to share the wealth. The images had to be adjusted a little to avoid stretching. More variety in character portraits is super. Fact.
3) Baldur’s Gate Portraits PoE Description: The last mod might have taken extra portraits meant for Baldur’s Gate, but this collection actually takes portraits from Baldur’s Gate and plops them into Pillars of Eternity. There are just some things we can’t let go…
The latest version includes 70 new portraits to enjoy and covers all the races. No racism here!
4) Censorship BE GONE Original Memorial Text Description: Let’s censor the censorship and get a certain bit of memorial text authored by Firedorn Lightbringer back into Pillars of Eternity as the various gods intended. There are two versions available in this mod: You can just get the altered limerick back or have it accompanied by the new ‘censored’ replacement. Fight fire with fire and censor those censors.
5) Druid Spiritshift - Unlimited Duration Description: Being a druid and spirit-shifting into things is exactly why many people sign-up in the first place. Now we can undo the terrible injustice committed against them by letting druids stay in their spirit-shifted forms forever, or at least until we manually tell them to switch back.
It’s the ultimate role-playing freedom for hairy bear lovers - no, not those hairy bears. Actual bears with hair. We get the mod in two flavours - stay transformed until combat ends or stay spirit-shifted all the time in and out of combat as a modal ability.
6) Lore Friendly Memorials Description: If it doesn’t fit the lore of Pillars of Eternity then this mod purges it from the collection of memorial texts found throughout the game world. It’s a ‘good kind’ of censorship, because it’s one we chose to have ourselves. No more tombstone graffiti, as the mod says.
7) Shaders of Eternity Description: COLOUR! This SweetFX preset for Pillars of Eternity reminds us that grass is green and fire is red by undoing what the Obsidian team did by ‘washing out’ the colour tones. It’s a visually radical change and certainly won’t be for everyone.
There are some high resolution comparison images available here. It’s practically night and day.
8) Sharp and Furious Description: If slamming a rainbow into Pillars of Eternity’s colour palette is a little too much then this mod focuses instead on just making textures sharper and appear more detailed. It’s ideal for those who like the visual tone but would like it a little less ‘blurred’ or smoothed.
9) Silent Kana Description: Silence is golden, especially when a certain someone in your party won’t keep their trap shut with all their chanting in battle. Now we can get him to zip it with this handy little nuisance mod that replaces his chanting audio with… silence.
This will only affect his chants and not make him a total mute so he’s free to talk our ears off in normal conversation. Maybe we ask about his mastery of silent chanting?
10) Pallegina’s Portrait Fix Description: One more portrait related modification and this is all a matter of perspective. It seems poor Pallegina has got an uneven pair of eye sockets, or has she? The mod’s author makes a compelling case involving an eyebrow line conspiracy!
It’s a bit of a conundrum: does this problem exist or not? Either way there’s a ‘fix’.
That’s our collection of some of the top most snatched mods out there journeying right alongside us in Pillars of Eternity. As Obsidian keeps the updates coming, and the eventual expansions, there’s bound to be more ambitious plans in the works among the community.
We’ll be keeping an even eye on the horizon and will no doubt be satisfying our mod listing fetish again in the future. We hope you’ll join in on our modding debauchery for Pillars of Eternity.
provide relevant advertising.