Sidescrolling stealth/action RPG in 2D? Dreadlocks announces Dex with the added bonus of neo-cyberpunk thumping through its veins, with multiple approaches to problems and progression choices.
Full voice acting by professionals is also on the agenda, twinned with "hand-drawn sprite animations". Dreadlocks has taken to Kickstarter and Steam Greenlight, and asks for £14,000.
Already the campaign is a little over £1,500 from about 110 backers. Pledging at just the £15 tier gets you the full game and Early Access with feedback wanted.
"The most innovative aspect of Dex, both from a story and a gameplay perspective, is that it takes place in two planes: physical reality and cyberspace (which is presented as a sort of augmented reality). Cyberspace is omnipresent - you can go there anytime for an alternate take on things - and it is up to you to choose how to overcome all obstacles and enemies. More than one solution can work - pure action, stealth, or cutting through intrusion countermeasures in cyberspace."
The Czech Republic indie studio is developing Dex for Windows, Mac, Linux and Ouya using the Unity engine.
• Rare melding of realism and creative vision: Realistic action, mature storyline, and complex character interactions meld with hand-drawn characters, animations, and locations, arcade-style melee combat, and an original conception of cyberspace.
• Multiple solutions to problems: Operate in cyberspace or normal reality. Overcome obstacles using skills, weapons, special equipment…
• Meaningful character progression choices: Will you be a silent assassin, a hacker, or a straightforward gunfighter? Improve your character and gear to unlock gameplay-changing upgrades that reinforce and customize your gameplay style.
• Unique hacking mechanic: Transfer your consciousness to your avatar, overcome intrusion countermeasures, take action, and then return back to your body in a fraction of a real-time second to see the results – deactivated turrets, overloaded devices, enemies with crippled implants…
• Neo-cyberpunk: Story deeply inspired by the cyberpunk novels of William Gibson and other classical cyberpunk authors, flavored with a contemporary concept of augmented reality.
• Rich game world and mindful level design: Visit diverse locations in Harbor Prime, a futuristic city complete with luxurious skyscrapers, run-down shantytowns, and seedy red-light districts. Take part in street brawls, steal corporate data, overcome environmental hazards, and, of course, stay alive – no easy task.
• Full voice acting: Interactive dialogues using hand-drawn sprite animations, fully voice-acted by professional actors.
• Multiplatform development: Game is being developed in the Unity 3D game engine for PC (Windows), Mac, Linux, and OUYA.
• DRM-Free: Dex will be distributed DRM-Free, with an option to receive a Steam key (if we succeed on Greenlight).
Check out thecampaign for more which runs for another 29 days, and its .