Indie studio Hapa Games has released their first title, the action side-scroller Ascendant, on Steam and GOG.com.
Ascendant is a beat-em-up with added roguelike elements like permadeath and procedurally-generated environments. You play as a demi-god, invading the realm of your rivals and destroying their armies. Here's the launch trailer.
“Having our first game available on these big sites is pretty incredible and we’re all a little anxious about how Ascendant’s going to do." Writes Hapa Games co-founde Ben Crocker. "The gameplay is fun and everyone seems to really love the artstyle so I’m hopeful that it will find its niche. Also we get to go outside the garage for a little while so that’s pretty rad.”
You can get hold of the gameand . Here's what you can expect from the game according to the product description.
- A Brutal Struggle – The armies of your demigod rivals are relentless. When a foe cuts you with his sword, it hurts. If you slip into a pit of spikes, the blades leave deep wounds. If a bomb explodes nearby you will burn. Health recovery items are rare. Fight with precision, speed, and timing to survive. Dodge attacks and crush your opponent when he is off-balance to seize the advantage.
- Loot the Treasures of the Gods – The gods hid their ancient relics in secret caches scattered around the world. Discover unique weapons, spells, and Blessings that grant mighty powers. Double jump, choke your enemies with a poison cloud, or jolt them to ashes with lightning. Equip and customize your Blessings to determine your own fate.
- Agile Beat 'em Up Combat – Slam enemies into each other to deal massive damage. Pummel enemies with ground and air combos or launch a barrage of spells. Launch your opponents in the air with rapid dashing assaults making them helpless against your divine onslaught.
- Death is Final – When your enemies defeat you, the game is over. No respawning. No returning to the last save point. You will need all your cunning and skill to win.
- A New World Each Run – Each playthrough creates a new hazardous land for adventure. You will never know exactly what you will encounter in the next room, which hazards will be presented to you, what you will find in a chest, or even (in some cases) which boss you will be fighting next. Expect hours of replayability and new challenges.