Publisher Funcom and developer Shiro Games today revealed the Fremen as Dune: Spice Wars' fourth playable faction, sharing the first details about their leader, units, gameplay style, and more.
Accustomed to the planet's desert, the Fremen can navigate its rough terrain more easily, thanks to their ability to ride sandworms. This not only allows them to travel faster and across longer distances but also launch surprise strikes.
The faction favors guerilla tactics and has an easier time allying with sietches across Arrakis in their bid to free the planet from imperial control.
They're led by Liet Kynes, "a skillful schemer able to navigate both the convoluted Fremen traditions and the impenetrable Imperial administration." Her four councilors emphasize the faction's strengths.
Chani Kynes uses her "brilliant and intuitive mind" to "gather facts and figures from the tiniest hearsay," while Stilgar Ben Fifrawi is the embodiment of both a wise ruler and a formidable warrior.
Mother Ramallo "inspires a strong religious fervour into the Fremen," as Otheym specializes in desert guerilla warfare.
The Fremen's units are trained to exert their influence over large territories, resupply less often, but also successfully hold their own against a superior force. Here's how the developer describes them.
- Warriors: Armed with long knives, they are experts at using Arrakis terrain to disorient their opponents.
- Infiltrators' familiarity with the desert lets them stay invisible and unheard until they strike with their two knives. Their surprise attacks will always find a weak spot, breaking their opponents’ will and focus.
- Skirmishers use their large supply of grenades to ambush well armored units and soften them for their other comrades to finish off.
- Fedaykins are elite warriors trained in the weirding way and armed with crysknives. They only get stronger the more opponents they face.
- Kulon Caravans can fight using maula rifles, but their main function is to set up a hiereg camp. At the camp, all Fremen units will be hidden, healed, and resupplied, making them great proxy bases for an attack.
Keep updated on the latest PC Gaming news by following GameWatcher on, checking out our videos on , giving us a like on , and joining us on . We may also include links to affiliate stores, which gives us a small commission if you purchase anything via them. Thank you.