The next expansion to Paradox's Europa Universalis 4 colonial franchise has been announced, and is marching toward a June 9th release date. Emperor covers the rise and fall of empires from the fall of Constantinople to the rise of Napoleon.
The expansion offers new gameplay opportunities for the Papacy, the Holy Roman Empire, and Revolutionary movements. As with most of their grand strategy expansions we will also be seeing multiple smaller changes to the game in the form of new missions and events alongside the standard patch that comes free with every expansion.
Europa Universalis 4: Emperor Release Date
Included in the press release were the main features we can look forward to, including a much requested rework to the rebellion mechanics;
- Appoint cardinals, publish Papal Bulls and gather tithes. The Vatican and Papal Controller now have new abilities to sway rulers.
- Imperial Incidents provide new challenges to the Emperor's power and authority, allowing a centralised monarchy or a decentralised federation.
- The spirit of Revolution is a contagion that must be either embraced or vigorously opposed with the zeal of revolutionary guard units.
- Bohemia has an early game chance to embrace the Hussite Faith and stand alone against the Pope.
- Nations can seize the mantel of global leadership if they accumulate enough power, but will face great opposition from other Great Powers.
- Over 20 new and unique mission trees for many European nations.
- Defending a major religion will now be different from defending a minor one.
- Work together with Catholic rulers to slow the Reformation by making concessions to the mob or imposing the will of God through force.
- Jump start your own rebellions before they are ready to pose a major threat.
Europa Universalis IV: Emperor will be available on June 9th, 2020 onand among other major online retailers. The price is set at £15.49 / $19.99.