Friday the 13th is now and - apparently - for the foreseeable future stuck in some sort of legal limbo, with the developers being forbidden from modifying the game any further. This includes content updates, DLC, and fixes of any sort. That's why Gun Media is now porting the game to Nintendo Switch.
Originally funded via Kickstarter and released on XBOne, PS4, and PC platforms in 2017, Friday the 13th: The Game saw some amount of success before being overshadowed by Dead by Daylight, though at least part of the game's downfall can be attributed to Miller, who is now trying to get back the rights to the franchise from Gun Media, the developers. "We can’t add any content, whatsoever. Nada. Not even a new tree or rock," said Wes Keltner, the Creative Director at Gun Media. He also said that the only function they've been allowed to legally fulfil is that of maintaining game servers and releasing minuscule bug fixes. "I know this isn’t the news you wanted to hear and I wish the situation were different. But it’s the painful truth," he said. What Gun Media will be doing with Switch this Summer, is that they'll release Friday the 13th: The Game with the vast majority of content it has in its original build (short of, say, certain skins) on a new platform, which technically does not violate any court orders they've been given so far. On the game's official subreddit, people have apparently been leaving death threats to the developers for porting the game to Switch, though the majority of these comments have since been removed. It's obvious why people are miffed, but law is law.


Loading comments…