Goldhawk Interactive's XCOM-style global scale strategic / tactical combat strategy game Xenonauts is now available on Steam Early Access. The game takes place during the Cold War as a multinational organization fends off an alien invasion.
Xenonauts was Kickstarted last year, and features the usual tropes for an XCOM-style game: non-scripted ground combat missions on varied maps from urban to remote locations against different types of aliens, all the while dealing with the big picture as players must choose which battles to fight on the Earth. In the meantime, they must also research different techs as well as harness alien technology.
Despite getting its release on Steam Early Access (for $19.99 USD), the devs freely admit the game is still being improved, as the studio has the following tasks:
* General Balance & Pacing Improvement: Xenonauts is an extremely complicated, almost sandbox-esque game. It's a lot of effort to get it balanced, and we only started work on it recently!
* Strategic UI Update: The UI of the strategic game is mostly placeholder and not very attractive. There is an update in the works that will make it more appealing (it will match our ground combat UI).
* Air Combat Auto-Resolve: Not everyone likes playing our air combat minigame. We will add an auto-resolve feature prior to release so you have the choice.
* Xenopedia Art: A large amount of the art has already been done, but not all of it.
* AI updates: The AI is currently acceptable, but we want to add more advanced tactics and differentiate behaviours between different species more.
* More Maps: The game has nearly 50 maps in it already, but they can get repetitive. We therefore will be adding a lot more.
* Final Mission: The final mission has some scripting in it which is yet to be added, so it doesn't work properly.
* Finishing Touches: There's also bound to be a lot of small improvements and updates to do to get the game working perfectly.
Check out the Steam game page here.