Prey has been an interesting beast to watch unfold. Releasing as a sci-fi shooter back in 2006 to a warm reception, news of a sequel wasn't far behind. That sequel, however never game. Despite being playable at numerous events in its infancy, the stars never aligned. Prey 2 fell under the weight of closing companies and transferring rights, and never managed to tell its tale.
Prey PC Performance Test
Then came Zenimax, Bethesda and Arkane Studios. While putting the finishing touches on Dishonored 2, Arcane Studios was put to work on Prey - a reboot, of sorts. Promising it wouldn't launch with the PC issues of their last game, it appeared in May 2017 to critical acclaim. Being a single-player adventure would typically mean patches would be few and far between. Not for Prey, though. They're growing.
Prey Patch Notes - Update 1.04
Just a whole lot of bugfixes here today. Mission progress should no longer be a risk in the back of the mind when messing around with the game's creative weaponry, and rebound controls should no longer be an issue outside of the main game.
- Glooing Cook between objectives no longer breaks mission
- ‘Nightmare is Hunting You’ no longer plays after completing ‘Copy Protection’ without Typhon Neuromods installed
- Disgruntled Employee mission now properly completes if player finds Grant Lockwood prior to getting mission.
- Sarah Elazar will now give the code for Cargo Bay B if player has hostility from Phantoms
- Aaron Ingram will no longer flee and cower when released in Psychotronics
- Player can no longer lock themselves in the security pharmaceuticals office in Trauma
- Superfruit no longer appears shrunken and flat when fully grown.
- Adjusted timing on several cutscenes.
- Blank objective markers no longer persist above reticle
- Using key actions while controller prompts are shown will no longer cause a freeze.
- Tracking bracelets are now sent to Recycler with “Transfer all Junk”
- Mouse sensitivity no longer affected by extreme FOV settings
- Several cutscenes adjusted to play properly with modified FOV settings
- WASD no longer incorrectly functions in menus and TranScribe if directional keys are rebound.
- Aim Assist will now work as intended if controller is using mouse input instead of stick input.
- Looting a new weapon without space for its ammo will no longer decrease the amount of ammo
- Dropping all ammo from an equipped weapon no longer causes invalid ammo UI message
- Consume Food hotkey now consumes food based on stack size, not inventory order.
Prey Patch Notes - Update 1.03
Stamina not increasing? Items refusing to be repaired? Annoyed that the end credits are long and unskippable? It's a good day to be you! Each of these issues (and more) have been rectified.
- Further fixes to prevent save games from becoming corrupted. Fix also returns corrupted save games to uncorrupted state.
- Items should no longer be incorrectly deleted from inventory or world when changing levels.
- Fix for stamina not recovering.
- Fix for being unable to repair items.
- Player should no longer spawn out of level.
- Fabricated weapons are now empty.
- Fix for humans incorrectly turning hostile. Hostile humans in lobby will be returned to friendly.
- End game credits now always skippable.
- Aaron Ingram no longer cowers if spooked by a typhon.
- Fix for various problems making changes in the settings.
- FOV slider is available in the advanced options menu.
Prey Patch Notes - Update 1.02
Don't ask what happened to Update 1.01. That's not a priority. Being the first real update since release, you'd hope this would fix most of Prey's glaring issues. Let's find out.
- Fix to prevent Save games from becoming corrupted. Fix also returns corrupted Save games to uncorrupted state.
- Hacking during the Power Plant reboot no longer causes the reboot to fail to complete.
- Fix to prevent the Player from becoming stuck in certain circumstances.
- Nightmares will now always search for the player once spawned.
- Saving and Loading PC settings will now save correctly for users with special characters in their Windows usernames.
- Numerous fixes to GLOO to prevent breaking and bypassing collision, prevent corpses from passing through walls and floors.
- Updated Recycling to prevent infinite material creation.
- Fix for occasional combat freeze when attacking Phantoms
- Kaspar’s objective indicator should no longer disappear.
- Updates to audio mix to adjust volume of music, audio logs, cutscenes