Code Vein is a Souls-like, and if you've played a Dark Souls-type game you'll know exactly what that means - tough battles, tougher enemies, and the hardest boss battles around. One particularly tough boss is the Code Vein Insatiable Despot, a titanic Greater Lost you'll meet a while into the game.
The Insatiable Despot is a boss you'll meet not too long after beating the Butterfly of Delirium boss, at the end of the Dried-Up Trenches area. Perhaps more annoying is what happens after you beat it - you hit a dead end! Where do you go next? Let us show you...
How to beat the Code Vein Insatiable Despot boss
Insatiable Despot can be found at the very end of the maze-like Dried-Up Trenches area. Its arena is pretty obvious - it's a huge circular area covered in spikes on the edge, with a Blood Spring tree just beyond. There's a Mistle right before this - if you need to get back, it's the Frozen Seabed area. Venture into the arena and you'll get the Despot's opening cutscene. It has two large knives and is pretty tough.
Here's all its attacks, which you need to learn to defeat it:
- Spawning enemies - This is the most annoying part of this boss, so luckily it only happens a few times at the beginning of the encounter. The Despot will occasionally spawn a large Lost enemy, like a smaller version of himself. Leave your companion to deal with them, while you focus on the boss.
- Blood pillar - holds up one of its daggers, and a red circular cloud will appear on the ground, probably by you. Quickly dodge outside it, because a red pillar will shoot up out of the cloud.
- Multiple ground stabs - A giant stab at the ground, and then a thrust forward with another stab, up to three times we believe. Fairly easy to avoid, attack its legs.
- Circular swipes - will do a double-spin around, swipe its blades as it goes. Dodge as it swipes.
- Sweep strike - will attack a couple of times in a sweeping vertical motion. Also dodge as it swipes.
Halfway through the encounter, the boss will freeze in spot and become invulnerable to attacks. It will swap its daggers for a giant axe - which is more powerful, but slower to attack. It will do various sweep attacks, and a slam attack with its axe.
The main way to beat the boss is just to get in close, attack a few times, and dodge between its legs. If you time everything well, it's entirely possible to beat this boss very quickly. Make sure you have Gifts on hand to boost your attack, or add electric damage to your weapon, and if in doubt - blast it from afar with Blood Shot. As long as your companion has dealt with those other enemies it spawns, the Despot is as good as dead.
Where to go after beating Code Vein Insatiable Despot
After dealing with the Insatiable Despot, you'll cleanse a Blood Spring, meet the Hunter - who disappears in a puff of bloody smoke - and, well, hit a complete dead end. Louis will mention that the Blood Spring heads back to the Ruined City Center, but where exactly?
Warp to the Mistle at the Ruined City Parking Garage. You have to head down the ladder here and head to the crossroads, on the way to the place where you may have got the Hunter Vestige Part B. Head left at the crossroads, and left again at the broken truck - you may have been here before, and discovered the huge hole in the ground. This is where you need to go next.
Unfortunately, you need to drop down this giant hole, slowly and carefully. You may lose health or even die doing it, just let your companion revive you - and be careful not to drop too far! Keep going and you'll reach the Howling Pits. Good luck!