Red Dead Redemption 2 is out now on PC at last, and while many players are struggling with the game others are already doing their best to improve the PC version with mods. Like this latest one, in Red Dead Redemption 2 how to play as animals or other characters.
We'll show you below how to play as any character, animal, or NPC in Red Dead Redemption 2, where you need to go to get the mods required, and the simple steps to get it all working. Prepare to fly as an eagle through the Old West, or cause havoc as a boar with Arthur Morgan's voice.
How to play as animals or NPCs in Red Dead Redemption 2
Once you've played through Red Dead Redemption 2 more than once, the second time through you just want to experiment - or at least skip the prologue chapter entirely. Replacing main character Arthur Morgan with any animal, character, or NPC in the game is a great way to go.
For starters, you'll need a trainer mod for the game. There are a few around, but it looks like Rockstar is trying to have them all pulled. This one works fine and is still available as of the time of writing, plus it's easy to use. Here's the steps you'll need to do next:
- Download the trainer and put the files in your main RDR2 directory.
- Open up the file called lst.ini with Notepad. You'll see a few options for 'Model1' or 'Model2' - these are the character models you'll be able to change into.
- Head here for the full list of character models in RDR2. Copy the "Ped Model" code for the model you want to change into, and put it in the space after "Model1=" or whatever. For example, if you want to turn into an elk, you should have the code "Model1=A_C_Elk_01". Ignore the Type being "Male" for all the NPCs.
- Save the .ini file, backup your game save files, and load RDR2. You should hear a couple of beeping noises to let you know the trainer is working. Go to Settings/General and disable the game's Autosave function, just in case. Remember to turn it back on when you're done messing around!
- When you're ready to change to your set models, press and hold F7 and press Left/Right/Up/Down to change to your selected model.
If you want an easier version with just a few set character models to play about with, grab this mod which has a few save files with specific character models already loaded - for quick, easy fun.
If this all worked correctly, you should now be playing as the animal or character you chose! Have fun! Try the cutscenes, they're hilarious.