Meteorbyte, a small Spanish indie studio is forming a partnership with publisher Combat Time to develop a new historical turn-based strategy game called Songs of Steel: Hispania, which is influenced by games such asand .
Songs of Steel: Hispania takes place during the Numantian War, the final confrontation of the Celtiberian Wars, where the Romans sought to conquer the tribes along the Ebro. This two-decade struggle pitted the Celtiberian tribes of Hispania Citerior against the Roman government of 154 BC. Meteorbyte says it has "strived for historical accuracy wherever possible."
Songs of Steel: Hispania is set during the Numantian War period in 154 BC
"We are huge history buffs, especially towards ancient history, and this is one of the lesser known periods during the Roman Republic. It also hits near home, being a story set geographically in our country. We thought that a tactics game was a great approach, as we could feature the military units of the era, and their battle tactics, in a somewhat abstracted and orderly way, very similarly to how it is done in tabletop wargames, but with the extra depth one can imprint into a videogame." said Phil González, CEO of Meteorbyte.
"We have strived for historical accuracy wherever possible,and have leaned towards making a compelling, powerful human narrative. A few concessions had to be made for the sake of storytelling and decision-making, of course, but we've remained as loyal as possible." González concluded.
Throughout the twenty-year conflict, you will guide the Roman legions or fight for the preservation of the Celtiberian people of Numantia. Each decision you make will echo through the story, shaping a distinct path for your people's fate.
Here's a list of features:
- Epic Strategic Battles: Dive into historical conflicts and carve your own path with two comprehensive campaigns, replete with historical figures, monumental battles, and a diverse array of troops.
- Decision-making: Feel the weight of your choices and their effects on the outcomes of battles and the annals of history. Battle missions offer dynamic challenges with ever-shifting objectives. Be ready to swiftly adapt and execute pivotal strategic decisions on the fly.
- Strategy for Everyone: Engage in turn-based strategy that strikes an ideal balance between tactical complexity and approachable gameplay. Master a fully deterministic combat system where each factor is crucial, and chance plays no part. The importance of positioning and terrain, from dense woodlands to ancient urban sprawls and towering peaks, cannot be overstated.
- A Hand-Drawn World: Explore a beautifully hand-illustrated realm where your decisions, alongside historical luminaries like Publio Cornelius Scipio, Rhetogenes, or Megara, will have a lasting impact on history, altering the flow of events.
- Voices in English and Spanish, with subtitles available in English, Spanish, and German.
Songs of Steel: Hispania is available to wishlist onand it should be released for the PC at some point in 2024. No other platforms were mentioned.
Keep updated on the latest Gaming News by following GameWatcher on, check out our videos on , or by giving us a like on .