A unique "real-time chess" first-person shooter that was prototyped back in late 2013 is now poised to real-time raid our wallets for pledges on Kickstarter. The premise is simple: you move, then so do the bullets.
A public demo was released and is playable right now, provided you've got the Unity web plugin. The Polish team behind it couldn't let it simply fade as a prototype, and so give us Superhot.
It's just landed on Kickstarter and they're asking for $100k, with over a quarter already matched by around 1,200 backers. There's no cover, just stylised bullet dodging.
"You're not hiding behind cover - you're dodging bullets flying past you like in The Matrix. You're not waiting to reload a gun - you're picking the next firearm from the hands of your fallen foes. You're not waiting until your wounds heal - in SUPERHOT a single bullet means death. However, there are no reload screens - you're instantly back in the middle of the action."
The development team need these funds to fuel more levels, animations, new mechanics, as well as testing, optimisations and to pay the bills. "Turning to Kickstarter ensures that we have access to a constant stream of feedback and ideas, while maintaining control over the development."
Check out the Superhot Kickstarter, and play the original.
▪ Story driven single-player campaign. SUPERHOT is more than just a shooter with a gimmick. We want to deliver a solid, interesting campaign built around a carefully constructed, not overly in-your-face story.
▪ Improved visuals. We are keeping the original game's minimalistic artstyle while making everything look a lot better. SUPERHOT is all about style.
▪ Infinite mode. A lot of people have asked us for an endless, arena-style mode that will allow them to play SUPERHOT for as long as they want. Master the game's mechanics and get ready for the ultimate time-bending challenges.
▪ More weapons - shotguns, machineguns, grenades that change the way you play around with the time-bending mechanics.
▪ More enemy types - thanks to improved AI the foes will use tactics and be able to work together to hunt you down.
▪ More levels - imagine fighting in the middle of a motorway during rush hour, or close combat in an elevator - and other amazing, movie-like scenarios.
▪ Slow-motion explosions!
▪ Oculus Rift support. Dodge bullets flying right in front of your face and lean behind corners for increased immersion!
▪ And a lot of other surprises!