It's a time management game where we need to carefully plot our escape from prison, crafting tools and weapons along the way, and avoiding suspicion of the guards.
It waswithin a week because inside every gamer is the spirit of a hardened criminal, the tabloids tell us. Best we get working on our prison escape strategies then.
“The Escapists is a hilarious and truly captivating game that I personally backed on Kickstarter and have followed from the start. It’s one of the funniest games I’ve played for a long time, it constantly brings those laugh out loud moments from everyone who plays it," said Team17's Debbie Bestwick. "I’m delighted Chris has decided to become part of the program we are offering to fellow indie developers to help bring their games to market.”
The Escapsists was successfully funded onlast November for £7,131.
The Escapists is a prison break game that puts players in the role of a prison inmate, ultimately planning and pulling off an escape. You'll have to stick to a schedule to avoid arousing suspicion, craft the tools you'll need from stuff lying around the prison (or, instead, steal them), make use of/stay off the radar of your fellow cons and guards, and eventually build your own escape tunnel while keeping it hidden from the people that might reasonably want to cave it in.
You'll have to stick to a schedule to avoid arousing suspicion, craft the tools you'll need from stuff lying around the prison (or, instead, steal them), make use of/stay off the radar of your fellow cons and guards, and eventually build your own escape tunnel while keeping it hidden from the people that might reasonably want to cave it in.
▪ Schedules: To escape you'll have to work around the strict prison schedule as best you can to avoid any unwanted attention from the guards.
▪ Crafting: Weapons and tools can be crafted together using everyday things you find or steal around the prison. Just beware of cell shakedowns.
▪ Reputation: The way you interact with fellow cons and guards affect how they treat you. Those on your side could help you out in a fight, overlook if they catch you doing anything unusual, or give you access to certain favors/jobs, and assistance.
▪ Digging: Get hold of a shovel and you can start working on an escape tunnel. Of course you'll need some lights and timber supports below ground if you plan to survive. Just make sure you make it back for the guard patrols- and that the hole is hidden!
▪ Skills: Train your agility and strength in the gym, or spend your free periods in the library boosting your intellect. All such skills play a part in your escape as well as your survival inside the prison.
▪ Combat: When it comes to crunch time, you might have to engage other inmates or guards in combat. If one of them finds your escape tunnel you will probably have to overpower, bind, and stash them in the hole you've been digging below your cell. If it's a guard, taking his uniform might come in handy.
▪ Gangs & Friends: Be careful who you pick fights with- some of the inmates might start plotting against you with their gang-mates and friends.
Team17 to publish indie prison title The Escapists, releases this year
20 February 2014 | By Simon Priest
- Related Games:
- The Escapists