Mojang has just announced they're working with Telltale Games to develop a standalone adventure spin-off with Minecraft: Story Mode, which is a narrative-driven game about Minecraft itself.
Earlier today Telltale was already teasing they had something to announce before the holiday break, and that they were working with another developer. Minecraft: Story Mode will release episodically.
Mojang released a special 'Info Quest II' mini-game to make the announcement.
The announcement bullet list:
● Minecraft: Story mode will be a narrative-driven video game created by Telltale Games. It will be about Minecraft.
● Mojang is collaborating with Telltale and members of the community to make Minecraft: Story Mode as Minecrafty as possible.
● The first episode will be released some time in 2015, and will be available on Xbox consoles, PlayStation consoles, PC, Mac, iOS, and Android-based devices.
● Minecraft: Story Mode will be released episodically, just like The Wolf Among Us, The Walking Dead, or the recent Tales from the Borderlands, which is another developer-collaboration series between Telltale Games and Gearbox Software.
● We’re not intending on creating an “official” story for Steve, or explaining the world of Minecraft in detail. It will be a cool game.
● The Minecraft 2 thing was a joke. No really. It was a joke.