Ark: Survival Evolved publisher and developer Studio Wildcard has revealed that Ark 2 is currently in development and will see Vin Diesel playing the role of protagonist Santiago Da Costa when its release date comes around.
Vin Diesel reprises the role in the Ark animated series that was also announced alongside the popular survival game's unexpected sequel.
"ARK II thrusts players into a brutal new world of primitive survival against both beast and man, facing down the ever-present threats of hyper-realistic intelligent dinosaurs, aggressive alien fauna, and the exotic environments of an unearthly planet. Survivors will continue ARK's dramatic eons-spanning story of humankind's evolution, in this next-generation sandbox survival experience," Studio Wildcard wrote in a post on its website.
Ark 2 Release Date
Ark II was initially aiming for a 2022 release on PC and Xbox Series X/S, where it will be a console launch exclusive.
In June 2022, it was revealed that the game is now expected to arrive at some point in 2023. It will likely arrive on PS5 at some point after its initial launch.
Vin Diesel Stars in Ark 2 and Ark: The Animated Series
Ark II's announcement trailer didn't feature any gameplay, although it was made using the game's engine and assets.
It introduces Vin Diesel as Santiago, a capable leader and warrior who defends his tribe – using spear, fist, but also an adequate amount of grunting – from a pack of hostile humanoid creatures and a very angry dinosaur.
The lush jungle in which most of the trailer takes place is later replaced by a cave that houses advanced technology to which the protagonist and his tribe are somehow connected.
Accompanying the sequel is an animated series to which multiple high-profile actors lend their voices.
Studio Wildcard will work with Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Director Jay Oliva on the 14-episode TV series, which will have Marguerite Bennett (Batwoman, Supergirl, Josie and the Pussycats) and Kendall Deacon Davis (Halo 4, The Wolf Among Us, Honor of Kings) as lead writers.
Each episode will have a 30-minute runtime. Here's a list of actors and characters that you can expect:
- Gerard Butler plays General Gaius Marcellus Nerva, a brutal ancient Roman despot.
- Devery Jacobs plays Alasie, a peppy 17th century Inuit teenager, now finding her place on the ARK.
- Cissy Jones plays The Gladiatrix, a formidable commander in Nerva's army.
- Madeleine Madden plays 21st century Australian paleontologist Helena Walker, newly awoken on the ARK.
- Deborah Mailman plays Deborah Walker, a 21st century Aboriginal Australian activist, and mother to Helena Walker.
- Zahn McClarnon plays Thunder Comes Charging, a 19th century Lakota warrior who leads a thriving community on the ARK.
- Malcolm McDowell plays Senator Lucius Cassius Virilis, a manipulative aristocrat during the reign of Caesar Augustus.
- Juliet Mills plays Chava, a wise healer and village councilmember.
- Elliot Page plays Victoria Walker, an idealistic humanitarian aid worker, and wife of Helena Walker.
- Ragga Ragnars plays Queen Sigrid, a bellicose 10th century Viking warlord.
- David Tennant plays Sir Edmund Rockwell, an egocentric 19th century scientist harboring dark ambitions.
- Alan Tudyk plays The Captain, a crusty buccaneer who profitably sails the dangerous waters around the ARK.
- Karl Urban plays Bob, a recent square-jawed ARK arrival.
- Jeffrey Wright plays Henry Townsend, an 18th century American watchmaker and Patriot spy.
- Michelle Yeoh plays Meiyin Li, a 3rd century Chinese rebel leader, known on the ARK by her reputation as the formidable “Beast Queen.”
- Ron Yuan plays Han Li, a 3rd century Chinese rebel leader and brother to Meiyin.
- With Russell Crowe playing Kor the Prophet, an eccentric ‘dino-whisperer’ hailing from a time before recorded history.
- And Vin Diesel playing 24th century ‘Mek’-pilot, gearhead, & freedom-fighter Santiago.
Vin Diesel's involvement with both Ark 2 and Ark: The Animated Series extends past his role as Santiago Da Costa.
He also acts as executive producer after joining Studio Wildcard as President of Creative Convergence, so it's safe to expect lots of Vin Diesel in Ark's future.
We'll update this article as soon as we learn more about Ark 2's release date.
Keep updated on the latest PC Gaming news by following GameWatcher on, checking out our videos on , giving us a like on , and joining us on . We may also include links to affiliate stores, which gives us a small commission if you purchase anything via them. Thank you.