If you’ve been running into problems trying to merge your account from Overwatch to, which will allow you to transfer your characters and cosmetic items, don’t worry as many players are in the same boat. Blizzard is actively working on resolving the launch issues.
Players have been trying to get their Battle.net ID’s ported over to Overwatch 2, and as many players have 1000’s hours of items and characters to import over to the new game, there’s a lot of nerves about those items being lost. Blizzard says that items and accounts will be fully restored in time.
Overwatch 2 Merge Accounts not working - Blizzard's Response
Missing characters, no access to purchased cosmetics, and not being able to play content from Overwatch has all been reported. While some players seem to have had items added that wasn’t originally available to them, such as Competitive Points and Origins Edition Skins.
Blizzard are aware of the problems and are actively working to resolve the launch issues, with updates from its community team currently taking place on the hour, although at the moment we just know that they’re working on it.
“Hi folks, No additional updates to share tonight (it is 12:18 AM as of this post). The community team will keep checking in on things in the forum first thing in the morning, and we’ll update you as we’re able. For those still waiting, thank you” read a post on theby Overwatch’s community manager.
Overwatch 2’s launch last night was plagued with, due to a double DDOS attack, which has caused delays in getting other issues like the Merge Accounts problem fixed.
“Hiya folks, Game Director Aaron Keller just shared this information. To echo what he said here… we are steadily working through the issues and a second DDOS attack. Still here, will update as we can”
There was an update from Blizzard on the 6th October that explained why the Merge Accounts issues were happening, what's causing it and how the team plans on fixing it.
The problem is caused by a mixture of people not yet completing their account merging process, which is "due to a bug with the launch build not providing an account merge prompt on some consoles". Then the process is being slowed by server issues, so the items from the original Overwatch are just taking longer than Blizzard expected to transfer over to Overwatch 2.
Confirmed time frame for fix:
- Next week, by the 14th October
Blizzard also more importantly mentioned that this issue will be fixed next week:
"We’ve received a number of reports from players that their inventory in-game is partially or totally reset. We’ve determined that the cause for this discrepancy in approximately half of reported cases is players having not yet completed their account merge 8.2k. This is understandable—one cause for this is due to a bug with the launch build not providing an account merge prompt on some consoles. We rolled out a partial UI fix earlier today to help some console players progress through the account merge flow, however, we are still working on fixes for additional UI issues.
In the other half of reported cases for this issue, things are just taking longer than expected for items from the original Overwatch to transfer and populate in Overwatch 2. In all cases, no player data has been wiped or lost. We have a client-side fix for this that cannot be deployed until next week, so we are exploring server-side fixes and will provide updates as more information becomes available.
There was a separate issue with account merge where players who had merged their console and PC accounts were experiencing problems logging in. This bug is now resolved. If you watched any community streamers on launch day, you might have noticed some had more trouble logging in than others; this bug was the primary cause for that."
Overwatch 2 Known Issues
Blizzard has put together a list of know issues that it’s actively working to resolve, which is useful to reference if you’re experiencing any problems and want to know what it’s working on fixing.
Known Launch Issues:
- Some players who merged their PC and console accounts are seeing an “Unexpected Server Error”
- Some cosmetics, items, and currency that players own are not showing up in their collections
- Some players are experiencing server disconnects
- Prices for dynamic bundles in some Just For You sections aren’t populating
- Using Alt + Tab in fullscreen and windowed borderless can result in a blackscreen
- The camera may be misplaced on the level when viewing your Highlights
- Hero Unlock challenges may fail to progress in Total Mayhem
- Workshop Green Screen and Workshop Island are loading incorrect maps and may break some existing codes
- Numbani, Necropolis, Illios CTF, and Temple of Anubis are temporarily disabled
- Echo is playing Kiriko, Sojourn, and Junker Queen ultimate lines in English for non-English languages
- Mitigating Bastion’s damage as many heroes will not grant proper credit for the System-Wide Malfunction season challenge
- SMS protect - Using a number that is already in use on another account can leave the client in an unusable state. If you encounter this, close the title, log into the affected http://battle.net/ 6.8k account via web browser and change the number to one that is unique
You can find out what issues have been, and we’ll keep you posted on anything we learn as fixes progress.
Keep updated on the latest PC Gaming news by following GameWatcher on, checking out our videos on , giving us a like on , and joining us on . We may also include links to affiliate stores, which gives us a small commission if you purchase anything via them. Thank you.