Sea of Thieves has been on the Microsoft Store since the initial release but with the game now available on Steam, we can be sure to see it rise up the Steamcharts quickly. Many players are curious whether they can transfer Sea of Thieves to Steam, and we'll take a look at how you can add or link Sea of Thieves to Steam below.
The short answer is you can't. Sea of Thieves have announced that "players on Xbox One and Windows 10 will not receive an entitlement to a free Steam copy." The Steam version will also still require signing into Xbox Live before you can dive into the game. However the upside of this is if you are willing to splash out for a copy of a game you already own you will keep all your current progress and enjoy a more streamlined update experience.
How to Transfer and Link Sea of Thieves to Steam
The long answer is that Microsoft's Universal Windows Platform (UWP) does away with the .exe file you could have used to connect a non Steam app to your library. While this method wouldn't help with the update process or enable the Steam overlay, you might at least be able to launch it from one place. That said, there is a way of getting it into your Steam Launcher and you can follow the steps below to at least get that much.
- Open explorer and create a new folder whether you like (documents is a good place)
- Name this folder SOT
- Drag a shortcut to Sea of Thieves into this folder
- Create a text file inside this folder and name it Sea of Thieves.bat
- Open the text file and type C;\Users\YOURUSERNAME\SOT\SOT.lnk (that's .Lnk with an L)
- Save this file
- Go to your Steam Client - Games - Add a non Steam Game to my Library, and choose a random program that we will change later
- In your library, find this program - right click - properties, and change the target to the Sea of Thieves.bat file you just made
- Change the name
- Change the icon (if you care)
- You're done
Sea of Thieves is celebrating the Steam release by dropping booty on Twitch this week. You can see what's on offer in ourarticle. However, if you're holding out until a sale, you can find out when this years sales are by following our .