As much as it encourages experimenting with its race creator, Age of Wonders 4 comes with a number of pre-made factions that are a great way to quickly jump in and experience its 4X goodness in all its glory.
Age of Wonders 4's factions are actually quite numerous at launch, covering all available physical forms, while letting us sample several combinations of tomes of magic, affinities, and societal traits.
Age of Wonders 4 Factions
They include chaos-loving cannibal rodents, underground-dwelling molemen with a knack for manipulating the physical world, as well as zealous toads, and nature-loving elves.
Whether you're a fan of more traditional fantasy archetypes or happen to be looking for something spicier without wanting to deal with building your own race, Age of Wonders 4's faction list has got you covered.
Below, we'll list the factions and leaders available at launch alongside their affinities:
- Mended Torchbeareres - Sundren of House Inioch (3 Order Affinity, 3 Nature Affinity)
- Destined Humans - Alfred Elderstone (4 Order Affinity, 1 Nature Affinity, 1 Materium Affinity)
- First Elves - Zaethyl Silverleaf (3 Nature Affinity, 2 Order Affinity, 1 Astral Affinity)
- Firebrand Predators - Yaka (3 Astral Affinity, 2 Chaos Affinity, 1 Shadow Affinity)
- Bloodfang Orcs - Asgera Spinesplitter (4 Chaos Affinity, 2 Nature Affinity)
- Mountain Dwarves - Tugrum Hammerhall (5 Materium Affinity, 1 Nature Affinity)
- Chosen Children - Nimue (4 Nature Affinity, 2 Astral Affinity)
- Arcane Tigrans - Enam'Ru Enkhanan (5 Astral Affinity, 1 Shadow Affinity)
- Wholesome Halflings - Ham Binger (4 Nature Affinity, 2 Order Affinity)
- Necrotic Goblins - Gloom Hooknail (5 Shadow Affinity, 1 Chaos Affinity)
- Fiendsh Rodents - Kruul Blighlord (5 Chaos Affinity, 1 Nature Affinity)
- Crusadking Croakers - Dafal Dea (5 Order Affinity, 1 Nature Affinity)
- Ashborn Hedonists - Cinren Toliath (4 Astral Affinity, 1 Chaos Affinity, 1 Shadow Affinity)
- Moonrock Dwarves - Fangir (4 Astral Affinity, 2 Materium Affinity)
- Shadowborn Elves - Werlac of Insaldur (4 Shadow Affinity, 2 Astral Affinity)
- Deep Dwellers - Blind the Underdelver (5 Materium Affinity, 1 Nature Affinity)
- Gnarled Frostlings - Artica (3 Shadow Affinity, 2 Chaos Affinity, 1 Nature Affinity)
- Human Paladins - Meshara the Radiant (6 Order Affinity)
- Underground Disciples - Xetevaca Worldshaper (4 Materium Affinity, 1 Astral Affinity, 1 Nature Affinity)
- Enthralled Orcs - Karissa the Red (5 Chaos Affinity, 1 Nature Affinity)
- Cursed Toadlings - Raina the Golden (3 Materium Affinity, 2 Nature Affinity, 1 Order Affinity)
- Cruel Deathbringers - Nekron the Risen (2 Chaos Affinity, 2 Astral Affinity, 2 Shadow Affinity)
- Drowned Recreants - Otto the Discarded (3 Materium Affinity, 2 Nature Affinity, 1 Chaos Affinity)
- Atoning Toadmen - Decimus the Unwavering (4 Order Affinity, 2 Nature Affinity)
- Gleeful Miscreants - Frikka Dynosis (5 Shadow Affinity, 1 Nature Affinity)
That makes for a total of 25 Age of Wonders 4 factions you can readily pick as soon as the game becomes available.
Even if you do decide to create your own race, you'll gradually meet the leaders above in your games, having the option of befriending or antagonizing them.
With Age of Wonders 4's pre-made factions now covered, read our full thoughts on the game in our review and check out whether or not GeForce Now support is planned.
Keep updated on the latest PC Gaming news by following GameWatcher on Twitter, checking out our videos on YouTube, and giving us a like on Facebook. We may also include links to affiliate stores, which gives us a small commission if you purchase anything via them. Thank you.