Epic Games has announced that a new update is live for Gears of War 3. The biggest change by the update fixes two serious multiplayer exploits. On the Mercy map, players were able to shoot from a concealed position near the Sanctuary bells using the iron-sights/scope with the Hammerburst and Longshot. The Drydock exploit using the OneShot was fixed as well.
The full list of fixes and improvements are in the following changelog:
* All unlockable and non-purchasable characters are unlocked for System Link play. Online play still limits players to characters that they have unlocked or have purchased through DLC.
* “Classic” stalemates are now enabled on the Execution and Warzone playlist. An option exists in private Execution to disable classic stalemates and re-enable the man-up rule.
* The ghost camera can be raised and lowered using the Xbox controller d-pad.
* “Must Active Reload” mutator has been made more restrictive. Issues with the Torque Bow and OneShot have been fixed.
* “Retribution” ribbon is now compatible with dedicated servers.
* Holding the “Y” button before being in range of a DBNO player and then walking into activation range will start the execution sequence. This is similar to holding “X” to queue up a weapon pickup sequence when walking into range of a dropped weapon.
* Removed Hammerburst and Longshot exploits with using the iron-sights/scope on Mercy where a player could shoot from a concealed position near the Sanctuary bells. Damage will not register when players are using the scope or iron-sights from that concealed position.
* Fixed the OneShot exploit on Drydock. Players will be pulled out of the OneShot mounted pose when in certain positions.
* A second player signing in on the loading screen before entering the pre-game lobby will no longer cause profile issues.
* The transition from spectator player view to ghost camera view will no longer force the ghost camera view to point upwards.
* The map cycle in QuickMatch is now randomly ordered.
* DLC that is not owned by the current player will no longer stop the player from using DLC they do own.
* Horde will no longer use the Versus weapon swaps. Horde players will have Hammer of Dawn and Mortar spawns on Overpass again.
* Fixed the lens flare on a scoped Longshot not appearing for a player facing left.
* Xbox system notifications have been moved out of the way of kill messages in competitive multiplayer. They now show up in the top center of the screen.
Gears of War 3 was released for the Xbox 360 on the 20th September, 2011, and earned an 8.5/10 score in Strategy Informer's .