Chaos Reborn, Julian Gollop's Kickstarter-funded remake of his classic tactical RPG, has a new playable build available. It has some placeholder graphics, UI and animations, but still. A rare chance to try out a Kickstarter project before you decide to back it.
A modern remake of cult classic ZX Spectrum game Chaos, first published way back in 1985, Chaos Reborn casts you as an apprentice wizard, and features tactical turn-based combat with lashings of destructive spells. The game offers both a singleplayer campaign and an in-depth multiplayer suite. Here's the list of features from the Kickstarter campaign page.
- Quick playing, turn-based combat. Battles typically last 10-30 minutes.
- 80 unique spells, including 24 creatures - from dragons to goblins - fully animated in the 3D Unity Engine.
- Classic spells from the original Chaos - including the Gooey Blob, Raise Dead, and Magic Wood.
- Bluff and deception - summon creatures as illusions for 100% success, and use Disbelieve spell on suspected enemy illusions.
- Manipulate the balance of the Cosmos between Law and Chaos to your advantage.
- Procedurally generated 3D battle arenas with various types of terrain, and different levels of elevation.
- Multiple game modes, including Classic Chaos mode - fully random battle set-up with random selection of spells.
There's seven days left on the campaign, and the game's raised $135,879 from an $180,000 goal