The Witcher 3 took Game of the Year over Fallout 4, Metal Gear Solid V, Bloodborne, and Rocket League, also winning Best Technology. Indie FMV mystery Her Story was highly decorated, taking home three awards of its own: Best Narrative, Best Handheld/Mobile Game, and the Innovation Award.
- Best Debut: Moon Studios (Ori and the Blind Forest)
- Best Audio: Crypt of the NecroDancer (Brace Yourself Games)
- Innovation Award: Her Story (Sam Barlow)
- Best Technology: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (CD Projekt RED)
- Best Visual Art: Ori and the Blind Forest (Moon Studios)
- Best Narrative: Her Story (Sam Barlow)
- Best Design: Rocket League (Psyonix)
- Best Handheld/Mobile Game: Her Story (Sam Barlow)
- Audience Award: Life is Strange (DONTNOD Entertainment)
- Game of the Year: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (CD Projekt RED)
- Pioneer Award: Markus “Notch” Persson
- Ambassador Award: Tracy Fullerton
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Todd Howard
Her Story also took top honors in the Independent Game Festival Awards, winning both the Excellence in Narrative Honor and the Seumus McNally Grand Prize. Given Her Story’s victories in both the IGF and GDC awards, it seems like the separation is increasingly superfluous, especially as we start to see titles like Rocket League as Game of the Year contenders.