Last week saw Paradox Interactive offer up the first details of the Stellaris 1.5 update - or 'Banks', as they like to call it. Following up with their light teasing, it's time for the full list of changes now that the update has gone live. And it's a big one!
For reasons relating to the fact that you'd essentially end up with a cryptic looking dossier after printing out the patch notes included in the most recent Stellaris forum post, we'll be picking a select few to focus on rather than creating a page longer than the Golden Gate Bridge.
The 1.5 update brought more than just the soft UI changes mentioned in the last post, of course. Down below, you can see a quick note of the bigger changes with the rest being visibile through the official Patch Notes page over here. The fact that it was even too long to feature on the game's official Steam Updates page is cause for concern to those who enjoy a good TL:DR.
- Expansion Features
- Habitat stations added to the game. Requires Voidborne ascension perk. Function like planets once built, but they have their own set of buildings
- Ring Worlds added to the game. Requires The Circle of Life ascension perk. Buildable in multiple stages around most stars and function like four size-25 Gaia planets, but consume all other planets in the system
- Dyson Sphere added to the game. Requires Galactic Wonders ascension perk. Buildable in multiple stages around certain stars
- Science Nexus added to the game. Requires Galactic Wonders ascension perk. Buildable in multiple stages around planets
- Sentry Array added to the game. Requires Galactic Wonders ascension perk. Buildable in multiple stages around planets
- Ascension Perks
- 20 ascension perks have been added to the game. An ascension perk slot is unlocked whenever a tradition category is finished. In addition, one ascension perk slot can be unlocked through technology
- NEW: Ascension Theory technology added to the game
- NEW: Mega Engineering technology added to the game
- Added 5 new tracks composed by Andreas Waldetoft, for a total of about 25 new minutes of music
- Additonal Species Rights
- Added 3 new Purge types: Processing, Neutering and Forced Labor.
- Added 3 new Slavery types: Domestic Servitude, Battle Thralls and Livestock
- Added 5 new traits exclusive to the Biological Ascension Path
- Free Features
- Added Authoritarian ethics
- Added Egalitarian ethics
- Removed Collectivist ethics
- Removed Individualist ethics
- Reworked the faction system
- Unrest is a new mechanic that affects planets. Unrest is generated by unhappy Pops and slaves, and can reduce productivity and in extreme cases spark rebellions. Unrest can be lowered by certain buildings or by garrisoning armies
- Species Rights
- Added the ability to set Species Rights for individual species. Slavery and Purging is handled through this interface instead of on an individual Pop basis
- Added a war demand to dismantle Frontier Outposts
- Ship engine-trails will now be colored by their empire's primary color
- It is now possible to terraform barren planets that have the "Terraforming Candidate" modifier if you possess the Atmospheric Manipulation tech. Mars is such a world by default
- Interstellar, Galactic, Colonioal Bureacracy, Galactic Bureacracy, Subdermal Stimulation, Culteral Heritage, Heritage Site, Hypercoms Forum etc Technology has been added
Again, there's way more than we can reasonable list here in one post. If you're looking for a surprise, just fire up the game without looking at the update. For those who need to know everything, however - read on over here.
Grab a copy on Green Man Gaming if you haven't already.