Metal Gear Survive will be getting a PC beta for the first time very soon, and here's everything you need to know about it!
So what actually is Metal Gear Survive?
It's a (mostly) multiplayer spin-off of the Metal Gear Solid series, where you and other players fend off zombie attacks, similar to Fortnite perhaps. Gather resources, build defenses, kill zombies. And forget about stealth.
When does the Beta run?
The PC Beta for Metal Gear Survive runs from February 16-18.
Is it for everyone?
Yes! It's a free open beta for everyone globally, including console owners (which is why it's called the "Second Beta") although it is specifically for PC via Steam, so if you don't use Steam - bad luck.
What's included in the beta?
Co-op Mode, which can be played by up to four players online, with three missions across two maps. There will also be special daily missions too.
Are there any rewards for the main game if you play the beta?
Like a Participation Bonus? So a free go on one of the biggest games of the year isn't enough for you, you actually want to get rewarded for it too? You sicken me.
... Just kidding, there totally is. The participation bonuses for the Metal Gear Survive include a FOX HOUND Name Plate, a Metal Gear REX Head Accessory, and a Bandana Accessory.
Any tips for playing?
Here's a few:
- The Staging Area isn't something you just meet in and get dumped into the world, like in PUBG. There's a training area, crafting area, and equipment management, all of which you need to look into closely and get used to. And most importantly: get used to the controls.
- Resources are key. While your Wormhole Digger is your main objective to defend, you'll need plenty of resources to do so so go off and find them.
- At the Start and between Waves is safe down-time where you can set up defenses or go exploring. Make the most of it.
- Watch your personal stats. You have to worry about eating and drinking in Survive, so make sure you do so - otherwise your health and stamina will take a hit.
- Keep an eye on the minimap. While zombies can come from anywhere, in each wave they'll only go down specific paths so focus on defending those.
- Don't worry about killing everything, the only goal is keeping alive - and the Digger defended - until the end of the Wave.
Will the main game have a single-player story?
Yes! Although the game's really been built with co-op in mind so we don't know how well it'll play. It's been touted at around 20 hours long, and will play very differently to the Metal Gear Solid series.
And when's the final game out?
Metal Gear Survive is out on PC on February 22, just a few days after the end of the beta. You can pre-purchase it on Steam here