The long awaited Final Fantasy XIV Online Patch 4.2, titled 'Rise of a New Sun', launches today. This patch, which has been teased for several months, brings classic bosses such as Final Fantasy VI's Kefka and the Phantom Train to Eorzea, as well as a big update to the Glamour System. Details below.
Kefka, the maniacal jester magician who is the primary antagonist from Final Fantasy 6 and one of the series' best villains, was teased in the Patch's trailer and is indeed coming to the game as part of the Omega raid series. The new Omega: Sigmascape raid dungeon will challenge high-level players with bosses from Final Fantasy VI such as Kefka and the Phantom Train.
Additionally, FFXIV Patch 4.2 brings a big update to the Glamour System. New Glamour Dressers make it much easier for players to dress up and customize their characters, which is the main draw of any MMO, and there's now only one standard type of Glamour Prism so the whole thing is now streamlined. Players of Final Fantasy 14 have wanted an overhaul of the Glamour system for a while so this is a welcome update.
You can read the full extensive Patch Notes for 4.2 here. Here are the basics from the press release:
- New Main Scenario Quests – Players will journey back to Doma in the Far East, greeted not only by familiar faces, but also new individuals and a looming friction in the region.
- New Raid Dungeon: Omega: Sigmascape – Notable bosses reminiscent of enemies from the world of FINAL FANTASY VI appear as the latest experiments created by Omega, and provide a new challenge to high-level players in both normal and savage difficulties.
- New High-level Trial: The Jade Stoa – A battle with Byakko, one of The Four Lords, begins this new side story questline. Adventurers seeking an additional challenge and the chance to obtain new weapons may undertake the Extreme version of this encounter.
- Glamour Dressers – An overhaul to the glamour system provides an even simpler way to customize character appearance. Players may convert and store up to 200 pieces of equipment in a new, specialized inventory, and create, dye, and save outfits which can be applied to a character with ease.
- Housing Updates – Beginning February 6, six new wards will be added to each of the four residential districts, all of which include a subdivision and apartment buildings.
- New Beast Tribe Quests – Assist members of one of the tribes of the Ananta—the Vira—in a new questline that offers rewards to players who forge strong bonds with these snake-like allies.
- The Feast PvP Updates – In addition to an updated PvP ruleset, enhanced visual cues during matches, and a new map inspired by the legendary Crystal Tower, players may now form PvP teams of up to six players to compete in ranked matches. Additionally, a new PvP Team chat channel allows for quick communication with other team members.
- Subaquatic Voyages – Free company members may work together to craft a submersible—an underwater exploration vessel—which can be sent to explore uncharted waters and collect various treasures.
- Performance Actions Updates – An updated UI and additional instrument options further expand the musical possibilities for aspiring bards.
- Gameplay and System Updates – Additional inventory space through the Chocobo™ Saddlebag feature, increased limits to stackable items per inventory slot, balance adjustments to jobs, and a number of other quality of life improvements are introduced in the update.
- New Equipment, Mounts, Emotes, and more.