Diablo IV has been revealed at long last, and while the game's still a long way away Blizzard offered a lot of details at Blizzcon - including the first details on Diablo 4 character customization, which will apparently be central to the game.
According to game director Luis Barriga, "customization is at the core of Diablo IV". You'll be able to customize everything about your characters, so you can make the barbarian, sorceress, or druid of your dreams - and even your horse, too. Here's everything we know.
What Diablo 4 character customization is there?
Diablo IV will focus a lot of its efforts on customization, as Blizzard want players to make unique and specific characters - even if there are only a few classes to choose from. Here is everything we learned about character creation in Diablo IV, so far:
- There are five character Classes: While this fact on its own doesn't make for a lot of customization, it should be pointed out that there will be a total of five wildly different Classes for players to choose from at launch. The three that have been revealed so far are Barbarian, Sorceress/Sorceror, and Druid. Each one will play completely different, and can look different too...
- A lot of character templates, or you make your own: In Diablo III, whatever Class you choose looked the same, other than a male/female option. Diablo IV will have a lot more options. Blizzard has already shown off some examples of the various different templates on offer for classes, and there will be even more at launch - or make your own, presumably.
- Accessories can all be changed: A small point, perhaps, but notable - all the various different accessories on characters can be changed, including character hair, skin tone, jewellery, scars, and more. Blizzard really want characters to look different from the start.
- A lot of different armour types: All the points above are before we talk about armour, and Blizzard showed a load of different gear and outfit types. The Druid, for example, can end up all in black, covered in skulls, or like some kind of golden crow. Even if you pick the same character Class as your friend, you can both look very different.
- Ability customization is vital too: Carrying on from the above, even if you manage to create a character the same class and looking identical to another player - your skill sets can be completely different, as Diablo IV gives the option for players to put skill points into abilities to customize their powers. Want an ice-wielding frost sorceress? You can do that.
- Talent trees, skill ranks, and Rune Words: These are all mostly back from Diablo II, so players can pour points into passive and active powers and truly make different characters. Rune Words are more "freeform" and natural-feeling, rather than a recipe. All of these are entirely to make the character you want.
- You can customize your mount too: Yep, it's not just your character - you can change your horse too. Want a huge brown steed? How about a skeletal monstrosity, or a demon horse from Hell? You can have these and a lot more in the final game.
These are all the different ways you can customize your character in Diablo IV - at least, that Blizzard has revealed so far, and it's only scratching the surface of the final game. We'll find out more when the game gets released five years after the sun burns out.