Releasing to rave reviews across the board, the extra time taken to spruce up Hearts of Iron IV after it missed a Q2 2015 release seemed to work in favor of publisher Paradox Interactive, but with the December 2016 patch causing a stir through the community due to a few lingering bugs, it's about time we start keeping a diary of all things patchy.
December 15, 2016, saw the release of the strategy title's first major expansion - Together for Victory. And while most would have considered the game feature complete from the get-go, a new expansion never hurts anyone. Except maybe those who's job it is to continuously alter code to fix balance issues and crashes. Releasing an expansion heightens the chance for game-breaking code conflictions, so expect a few over the first few months.
Hearts of Iron IV - 1.3.3
You can never really expect some easy to read update logs with a game like Hearts of Iron IV. Being such an in-depth strategy title, the slightest change, error or balance issue could make or break thousands of different systems and possibilities.
And, because of that, it's impossible for to dedicate too much space to a single patch. Therefore, we've opted to read through them on your behalf and provide a generalised overview instead. For those interested in reading up on database and modding changes, head over here. For those looking for a run-down of the AI/UI changes, continue on;
- AI Changes
- Italy AI should now be better at picking proper units to fight in Ethiopia.
- AI is less spammy with call to arms and join war requests.
- AI should no longer be able to give units ridiculously long retreat or move orders while they are in combat.
- Naval AI will now attempt to use strike fleets to aid in coastal land combats if they are not on a mission to aid in a naval combat.
- AI will now start considering buildup of military constructions after a while, even if peaceful and not directly threatened.
- AI is now less nervous about neighbors fighting a common enemy and not losing.
- Fixed a serious issue where AI would never counter resistance with area defense orders, completely ignoring conquered territory.
- Made sure AI can not send parts of equipment. Half a ship is not particularly useful.
- AI now looks for trades in priority order of biggest lack
- AI is now MUCH better at looking at the equipment cost for switching more templates than just one at a time
- UI Changes
- Battleplans are now hidden during the peace conference to not obstruct the view.
- Added stockpiling amount to production screen. Changed text to icons.
- Added dockyard output modifier icon in the production screen
- Fixed issue when multiple army groups was not shown in the volunteer theater groups
- Now top bar tooltip for factories also shows damaged ones
- Fix for the switch to next autonomy level glow (now it is actually hidden)
- Combat log screen now will be shown on top of other screens
- Changed "Trade Bonus" modifier to "Overlord trade cost" and made it a negative modifier.
- Fixed CTD when double clicking the first factory in a line superduperfast to reset factories
- AI now much better at respecting airbase size limits
- Improved AI management of air missions
- Deployment is now allowed in locations where it supposed to, regardless if your capital state is not owned by you.
- Fixed huge slow down and eternal freeze in the peace conference.
- Lowered air combat delay so that some areas will still see combat even though caught in extreme time zones.
- Crusader Kings 2 achievement now requires correct states
- Rebalanced air combat for increased air casualties
- Air accidents should no longer happen in peacetime
- Added CTD safety for voice over playing in case player has some broken sound drivers
- Fixed potential CTD in clearing country resources on civil war starts
- Fixed a manpower transfer issue causing units to disappear after peaceful annexation (like the Anchluss)
- Fixed issue with Australia demanding New Zealand causing Australia to be kicked out of any faction it is currently in
- Fixed two typos in Indian focus tree/ideas
- Tech tree now refresh after switching tag (when choosing to play as new puppet) which made some achievements tricky
- Transfer ship effect (like in NZL focuses) no longer sometimes transfers wrong ships (or whole fleets :D)
- French language translation fixes.
- Fix for Crusader Kings 2 achievement. Flags are now set from events granting them immediate freedom.
- Added script flags for Crusader Kings 2 achievement if SAF chooses to puppet nations.
- Mil to Civ factory conversion now properly removes the military factory.
- Japan now creates own faction and adds New Zealand to it for befriend Japan focus.
- Changed trigger for Befriend Japan to require same ideology.
- Only create wargoal on AST if ideology differs.
- Fixed has_goverment trigger doing the opposite of what it was supposed to.
- JAP will only create faction if not already in a faction.
- AST will join JAP if JAP already leader of faction. AST cannot befriend JAP if JAP is in another faction.
- Fixed an issue where in civil wars the dynamic tag side would end up with no manpower in their divisions and get them disbanded
Hearts of Iron IV - 1.3.2 Hotfix
Following a presumed successful run across the beta servers, another hotfix aiming to fix what was broken in patch 1.3 has hit the main servers. Steam should light up with the new content, and you'll be presented with a small download once you've booted Valve's distribution client. There's AI alterations, fixes for the French translation and a method in-place to stop entire ship fleets from being wrongly transferred. It's a doozy! Let's take a look;