EA has confirmed that cosmetic modding like Pink Darth Vader is totally fine, as long as it's only cosmetic. EA community manager Barry was asked by a player concerned about modding and getting banned for it, and EA responded positively:
Now we know it's fine, to further help you out here's a full, step-by-step guide to how to get Pink Darth Vader, Kylo Ren Matt The Radar Technician and all the other great mods for Star Wars Battlefront 2 working!
- Get the Frosty Mod Manager here. Download it and unzip it in the folder of your choosing.
- Collect the mods you want. Put them in whatever folder you like.
- Open FrostyModManager.exe. By default first it will ask you for a game .exe - find your Star Wars Battlefront 2 .exe and select it. By default it's in the folder Program Files (x86)/Origin Games/Star Wars Battlefront II.
- Click 'Import Mods' (at the bottom of the screen) and select all the mods you have. You don't have to apply them all at once so just import them all.
- Click 'Apply Mod(s)' on all the mods you want to add to Battlefront 2. Be warned that some may conflict, so don't say apply two Kylo Ren skins.
- Click 'Launch' (top of the screen) and Battlefront 2 should launch! Then test the mod!
- If it doesn't work, exit the game, make sure the mods are definitely in the 'Applied Mods' tab, and try launching again. Make sure you're launching the game through the Manager!
We've put together a list of The Top 10 Best Mods Available for Star Wars Battlefront 2 - why not check it out?
In other news, Pink Darth Vader modder Destauch has gone and done the White Darth Vader mod too, as he promised. You can find it here.
Since EA's CFO Blake Jorgensen insisted that Star Wars Battlefront 2 shouldn't have cosmetic microtransactions because they violate canon, singling out "Darth Vader in pink" as something players didn't want, modders have been busy adding cool cosmetic mods to Battlefront 2 - and now, at last, we can play as Pink Darth Vader.
You can get the Pink Darth Vader mod right here from Nexus Mods and user Destauch. You'll also need the Frosty Mod Manager to add the mod to Star Wars Battlefront 2. After that it's just a simple matter of choosing the Battlefront 2 .exe file and then the mod.
The mod is a reference to the comments made by EA Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen when asked about microtransactions in Battlefront 2 and why they didn't simply charge for non-vital cosmetic items instead of crucial progression items. Blake Jorgensen said:
"The one thing we're very focused on and (Lucasfilm are) extremely focused on is not violating the canon of Star Wars. Darth Vader in white probably doesn't make sense, versus in black. Not to mention you probably don't want Darth Vader in pink. No offense to pink, but I don't think that's right in the canon."
Destauch next plans to make White Darth Vader.
In other news, 2017's Star Wars Battlefront 2 has mods now apparently. There are mods to make lightsabers more cinematic, give Darth Maul a hood, tweak the AI in Arcade mode, give more Arcade Maps, and most importantly, turns Kylo Ren into Matt, the Radar Technician. Blake Jorgensenson doesn't think that's funny, but we do. Do you?