A new wave of non-game apps are making their way on the Epic Games Store today, including itch.io, web browser Brave, and more. Largely known for its free games, divisive exclusives, and plans to take on Steam with a more generous revenue share, the storefront is now expanding to include other types of software.
Spotify became the first non-game app on the Epic Games Store back in December 2020. Starting today at 5 PM PDT/8 PM EDT/1 AM BST, Fortnite Crew Members are set to receive three free months of Spotify service for new Spotify Premium subscribers, as part of a partnership between Epic and the music streaming service.
With more non-game apps coming to the Epic Games Store, they're also getting a dedicated page, which should make it easier to keep track of them. Here are all of today's additions, as described in an emailed press release:
- itch.io is an DRM free indie focused open game store, where the developer sets their price (or no price) and controls the revenue share as well. Simply put, it’s a marketplace for hosting indie games with a ‘pay what you want’ pricing model. Anyone can quickly upload their game and then customize the game’s page.
- Brave is a free and open-source web browser developed by Brave Software, Inc. based on the Chromium web browser. It blocks ads and website trackers, and provides a way for users to send cryptocurrency contributions in the form of Basic Attention Tokens to websites and content creators along with the ability to keep the cryptocurrency they earned.
- KenShape generates 3D models based on 2D pixel art drawn using various shapes. Exported models are compatible with most game engines and will allow anyone with basic drawing skills to generate high-quality 3D models for their games, or other projects.
- Krita is a popular and powerful digital painting application that is already used by millions of people all over the world. Creating illustrations, comics, animations, sketches, paintings -- Krita has come with many advanced brushes that make creating art easy and fun.
iHeartRadio - Available in North America Only
- iHeartRadio is a free all-in-one digital music, podcasting and live streaming radio service. With iHeartRadio, you will have access to thousands of Live Radio stations from across the country, personalized custom Artist Radio stations and playlists perfect for gaming, or any mood and activity, as well as the top podcasts and on-air personalities around. Plus, iHeartRadio All Access subscribers will enjoy all their easy-to-use on demand functionality including personal music libraries; the ability to search and play any song instantly; and the option to save and replay songs from Artist Radio stations. iHeartRadio is also the No. 1 podcast publisher globally with more than 250 million monthly downloads spanning every podcast category from business, sports, spirituality and technology to entertainment, gaming, family, comedy and true crime – and everything in between.
Epic plans to bring more of these apps to its storefront in the future, including its own social network, Houseparty, and massively popular communications app Discord.
Additionally, its ongoing efforts of improving the Epic Games Store itself will target, social features, search, and bring a party system over the coming period.
Keep updated on the latest PC Gaming news by following GameWatcher on Twitter, checking out our videos on YouTube, giving us a like on Facebook, and joining us on Discord.