Europa Universalis 4's major nations will receive significant updates when the grand strategy game's next expansion, Domination, launches in 2023.
The expansion was unveiled during Paradox Interactive's March announcement show and will introduce updated mission trees and historical details for several of the game's most prominent nations.
Europa Universalis IV: Domination DLC Release Date
Expanding as the Ottoman Empire will feel different thanks to the new Eyalet system, while Japan can decide whether to open itself to foreign influence or remain isolated and entrenched in tradition.
Pick Spain and you'll be greeted by expanded mission trees for Castile and Aragon alongside a new mechanic for the Hispanic Monarchy government type.
Although Europa Universalis IV: Domination is about the major players of the era, minor nations haven't entirely been forgotten. Here are the features you can expect from the expansion, as detailed by the publisher.
- The Ottoman Empire: A revised conquest tree with new rewards for pushing Ottoman dominance, including expansion through the new Eyalet system, and new internal changes, such as the new Janissary estate and the ‘Ottoman Power Struggle’
- China: Different mission trees for the Han Ming and invader empires like the Qing. Choose between expansion and Inward Perfection, and counter the power of the Eunuchs to build a more stable empire
- Japan: Unite Japan as you deal with the power of the Shogun and the independent Daimyos. Choose to open the country to foreign influence or keep it isolated, while deciding upon different paths of expansion and reform.
- Russia: Free your country of the Tatar Yoke, and transform it into a Great Empire. Choose the path of Peter’s reforms to modernize the state, so your mission tree as well as your mechanics will change and evolve as the game progresses. Use the power of Cossacks and Streltsy to expand your Empire to East and West.
- Spain: Expanded mission trees for Castile and Aragon, with different paths to form Spain, a new mechanic available for the new ‘Hispanic Monarchy’ government, and decisions about the Army and Navy to get the mighty Tercios and Spanish Armada.
- France: Fight the end of the Hundred Years War, centralize France into an absolute monarchy while dealing with the Wars of Religion, expand into Italy and the Holy Roman Empire, and lead the Revolution through an expanded mission tree.
- Great Britain: Separate paths for either a British Empire or an Angevin Britain, as well as a deeper internal gameplay, with unique features for the English Parliament and changes to the English Civil War disaster.
- Minor nations: Mission changes, new government mechanics and expanded flavour for Prussia, Portugal, and Korea.
Europa Universalis IV: Domination also includes new art and music alongside more flavorful estates, reforms, special units, and events for the era's major powers.
Arriving later in 2023 on PC, the expansion will be accompanied by a free update available to all owners of the base game.
Keep updated on the latest PC Gaming news by following GameWatcher on, checking out our videos on , and giving us a like on . We may also include links to affiliate stores, which gives us a small commission if you purchase anything via them. Thank you.