The Epic Games Store has made the first step towards adding mod support for its titles, the feature now being available in beta.
MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries is the first game taking part in the Epic Games Store's mod support beta, a set of 12 dedicated mods being available to download.
Enthusiasts will now find that MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries' Epic Games Store page features a "Mods" section at the top which gives access to both the modding toolkit and existing creations.
Epic Games Store Mod Support
At the moment, the Epic Games Store's mod support feature is a bit barebones, allowing players to add mods to their library and track likes and downloads.
Developer Piranha Games highlighted the following mods in a post on its website:
- MechCommander Mercenaries by the MCM Team is a recently-announced and highly ambitious real-time strategy conversion of MW5. A complete genre change like this really speaks to the capabilities and flexibility of making mods for MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries in the Unreal Engine!
- MW5 Mercs Reloaded by NavidA1, the most prolific creator in the MW5 Modding community, is not just a near ground-up expansion of 'Mechs and the MechLab, but an ongoing rework of many core systems and a collection of great quality-of-life improvements.
- MercTech by MagnumForceGB is a comprehensive overhaul of many core mechanics related to 'Mechs and the MechLab, introducing an array of new weapons, equipment, and features inspired by traditional BattleTech systems and rules.
- The TableTopRulez Lancemate and Enemy AI Mods by Oraeon1224 are two significant expansions on the AI systems in MW5, bringing greater complexity and visible levels of intelligence to the in-mission AI.
- The MW5 Mod Compatibility Pack by Sketch is an amazing effort to increase compatibility between disparate Mods, enabling creators to focus their work and coordinate with other creators to unlock even greater potential in their Mods.
Mod support will come to more titles on the Epic Games Store in the future. Yesterday, Epic also announced that an early version of achievements went live on its storefront for Ark: Survival Evolved.
Mod support is now in beta on the Epic Games Store, starting with Mechwarrior 5.— Epic Games Store (@EpicGames) July 30, 2020
This is an early iteration of the feature, but you can expect to see more titles supported in the future. Keep an eye out! https://t.co/Pmgy9tkI8O
Slowly but surely, it seems like the Epic Games Store is catching up to its competitors in terms of features, on top of continuing to have a sizeable list of exclusives.
Keep updated on the latest PC Gaming news by following GameWatcher on, checking out our videos on , giving us a like on , and joining us on . We may also include links to affiliate stores, which gives us a small commission if you purchase anything via them. Thank you.