Here's where we'll explain everything that's changing and being added with League of Legends Patch 11.16.
League's Patch 11.16 is now available on live servers after a prolonged three-week round of testing, during which players could get a first look at the MOBA's newest cosmetics as well as upcoming balance changes.
A look at its patch notes reveals its release date alongside the addition of several witchy Coven skins.
Riot Games updates its popular MOBA at a steady rate, which is why its patch schedule is necessary to keep track of when the next one's due out. The LoL Patch 11.16 release date was set for Wednesday, August 11, which is when the changes that make it through testing hit live servers. The extended testing period comes as a result of the developer taking its annual mid-year break.
League of Legends Patch 11.16
League of Legends Patch 11.16 brings as many as seven new skins for existing champions, this time belonging to a single line. On the PBE, players can try out Coven Ahri, Coven Ashe, Coven Cassiopeia (1350 RP), Coven Evelynn (1820 RP), Coven LeBlanc Prestige Edition, Coven Malphite, and Coven Warwick, all sporting a darker aesthetic.
The turnarounds below showcase each character model, giving a good idea of the predominantly red and purple hues that we can expect in-game.
The LoL 11.16 maintenance schedule is always revealed closer to launch. Usually, it takes about 3 hours for patches to be deployed across different regions. Checking our League of Legends Server Status article is a good way to keep yourself informed on server downtime caused by patch deployment or other reasons.
As far as balance changes go, League's 11.16 patch brings fairly significant changes for Sona, replacing her high mana costs and mana refunds with a stacking mechanic that should feel more rewarding for players who choose her in the Rift.
Developer Riot Games detailed the philosophy behind these changes in a post on its website. The goal is to avoid punishing players from casting Sona's abilities and give them an extra incentive and a bit more synergy from doing so.
In addition to that, we now also have a detailed picture of what to expect thanks to the League 11.16 patch preview. Diana's passive is getting a slight nerf, dealing 50% less damage to monsters. Fiora's Bladework now has a longer cooldown, while Lulu's W and R abilities have also had their cooldowns increased.
League of Legends' Patch 11.16 won't launch without buffs and Jarvan IV's passive and ultimate abilities will become more potent. Jhin's W and R abilities have had their damage increased, while Sivir's Ricochet benefits from an improved AD ratio.
11.16 Full Preview is here!— Jeevun Sidhu (@JeevunSidhu) July 27, 2021
Again, reminder that this patch will hit live 1 week later than normal. pic.twitter.com/NS4aHZG0QY
Sona will also receive some further adjustments, starting with the removal of the AP ratio nerf. This comes in response to player feedback suggesting that the champion is now weaker. Here's how the changes look on the PBE:
LoL 11.16 Champion Balance Changes
Diana - Nerfed
Moonsilver Blade (Passive):
- Non-epic monster damage decreased to 250% from 300%
Fiora - Nerfed
- Cooldown increased to 11/10/9/8/7 seconds from 11/9.5/8/6.5/5 seconds
Jarvan IV - Buffed
Martial Cadence (Passive):
- Damage increased to 10% of target's health from 8% of target's health
- Bonus damage ratio increased to 180% AD from 150% AD
Jhin - Buffed
Deadly Flourish (W):
- Damage increased to 60/95/130/165/200 from 50/85/120/155/190
Curtain Call (R):
- Minimum damage ratio increased to 25% AD from 20% AD
Karma - Changed
Gathering Fire (Passive):
- No longer reduces Mantra’s cooldown by 1 second whenever she uses her basic attacks against an enemy champion
- Cooldown reduction from abilities changed to 5 seconds from 2/3.5/5 seconds (level 1/6/11)
Inner Flame (Q):
- Base damage decreased to 70/120/170/220/270 from 90/135/180/225/270
- Cooldown increased to 9/8/7/6/5 seconds from 8/7.5/7/6.5/6 seconds
- Mana cost decreased to 45 from 55
- Soulflare initial damage increased to 40/100/160/220 from 25/75/125/175
- Shield increased to 80/125/170/215/260 from 80/120/160/200/240
- Bonus movespeed changed to 40% from 40/45/50/55/60%
- Defiance buffs to nearby allied champions decreased to 30% of the total shield’s amount, 30% bonus movement speed from 30% of the total shield’s amount, 100% bonus movement speed
Lee Sin - Nerfed
Iron Will (W):
- Omnivamp decreased to 5/10/15/20/25% from 10/15/20/25/30%
Lulu - Nerfed
- Cooldown increased to 16/15/14/13/12 seconds from 15/14/13/12/11 seconds
Wild Growth (R):
- Cooldown increased to 120/100/80 seconds from 110/95/80 seconds
Maokai - Changed
Sap Magic (Passive):
- Heal increased to 5/15/25/35/45/55/65 (+7/8.5/10/11.5/13/14/15% maximum health) (level 1/6/9/11/13/15/17) from 5-65 (+5-13% maximum health) ((level 1-18) (due to heal and scaling bugs)
Sapling Toss (E):
- Detonation damage decreased to 20/45/70/95/120 (+7/7.25/7.5/7.75/8% (+0.7% per 100 AP) of target's maximum health) from 25/50/75/100/125 (+7/7.25/7.5/7.75/8% (+0.8% per 100 AP) of target's maximum health)
Nunu - Buffed
- Movement speed increased to 345 from 340
Snowball Barrage (E):
- Total damage ratio increased to 90% AP from 54% AP
- Damage ratio per snowball increased to 10% AP from 6% AP
Shaco - Changed
- Shaco's orange smoke VFX no longer appears from the enemy’s point of view when cast through Fog of War
- When Shaco’s clone kills a ward, it will no longer override all commands and attempt to repeatedly path back to Shaco
- When Shaco’s clone does not receive additional commands for ten seconds, it will no longer path back to Shaco
- Wards killed by Shaco’s clone now properly grants gold to Shaco
- When killed by reflected damage, Shaco’s clone now properly explodes into mini-boxes
Sivir - Buffed
- Damage ratio increased to 30/45/60/75/90% AD from 30/40/50/60/70% AD
Sona - Changed
Power Chord (Passive):
- Accelerando: Sona's basic abilities grant her permanent Accelerando stacks. She gains +.5 non-ultimate ability haste per stack, up to 60 non-ultimate ability haste. Once she reaches 60 non-ultimate ability haste, instead of gaining additional Accelerando stacks, her ultimate ability's current cooldown reduces by 1.5 seconds each time she would gain an Accelerando stack.
- Now persists through revives (such as Zilean’s ult and Guardian Angel)
Hymn of Valor (Q):
- Cost decreased to 50/55/60/65/70 mana from 75/80/85/90/95 mana
- Now grants a stack of Accelerando for each bolt that hits an enemy champion
- Granting an ally Hymn of Valor’s aura no longer refunds 30 mana per cast
Aria of Perseverance (W):
- Cost decreased to 80/85/90/95/100 mana from 105/110/115/120/125 mana
- Aria of Perserverance’s aura now grants a stack of Accelerando each you time you heal another injured ally or prevent at least 25-125 damage from another ally with the aura’s shields
- Granting an ally Aria of Perserverance’s aura no longer refunds 30 mana per cast
Song of Celerity (E):
- Cost decreased to 65 mana from 90 mana
- Granting an ally Song of Celerity’s aura no longer refunds 30 mana per cast
- No longer reduces Sona’s basic abilities
- Hits champions, minions, and monsters
Tahm Kench - Nerfed
An Acquired Taste (Passive):
- Base damage decreased to 8-60 (level 1-18) from 12-60 (level 1-18)
Tongue Lash (Q):
- Base heal decreased to 10/15/20/25/30 from 15/20/25/30/35
Vladimir - Changed
Crimson Pact (Passive):
- AP bonus to health conversion increased to 160% from 140%
- Bonus health to AP conversion increased to 3.3333333% from 2.5%
Xin Zhao - Nerfed
- Base AD decreased to 63 (level 1) from 66 (level 1)
Ziggs - Changed
- Mana increased to 480 (level 1) from 420 (level 1)
Hexplosive Minefield (E):
- Base damage per mine changed to 30/70/110/150/190 from 40/75/110/145/180
- Slow decreased to 10/20/30/45/50% from 30/35/40/45/50%
LoL 11.16 Item Balance Changes
- Dread AP per Glory stack decreased to 4 from 5
- Glory stacks lost on death increased to 5 from 4
- Intervention heal increased to 200-400 (based on ally’s level) from 180-360 (based on ally’s level)
- Intervention cooldown decreased to 90 seconds from 12 seconds
LoL 11.16 Bugfixes/QoL Changes
- Fixed a bug where Warwick’s R - Infinite Duress cancels mid-jump if the target flashes
- Champions can now acquire blue buff if they kill the Blue Sentinel while in a zombie state, such as Sion’s Passive- Glory in Death (this is already true for red buff)
- Fixed a bug where players would lose their red or blue buffs when executing to non-epic jungle monsters
- Fixed a bug where a champion’s bounty value did not reset back to 0 in the scoreboard even after their bounty is claimed
- Sandshrike's Claw’s tooltip counter for damage dealt now properly displays the amount of damage done to the enemy
- Fixed a bug where, if Steel Shoulderguards are refunded or sold before purchasing and activating Relic Shield, buffs for both items appear in the buff bar
- Fixed a bug where a champion was able to teleport to a destroyed tower if the teleport channel bar has 0.3 seconds remaining
- Fixed a bug where Tryndamere’s W - Mocking Shout would not contribute towards Eclipse’s Ever Rising Moon if the enemy champion was facing him
- Umbral Glaive is no longer able to deal bonus damage to a ward that is invulnerable (due to being teleported to)
Sona's changes did, indeed, prove to be only the first that we're getting in League of Legends' Patch 11.16.
While we wait, check out the Patch 11.15 notes detailing League's new champion, Akshan, and watch the Coven Cassiopeia and Coven LeBlanc Prestige Edition skins in action in the videos below.
Keep updated on the latest PC Gaming news by following GameWatcher on, checking out our videos on , giving us a like on , and joining us on .